Gauge: Standard, 2ft 6in (760mm) and 1ft 11½in (600mm)
The Cambrian Railways Co was formed on 25 July 1864 by the amalgamation of smaller companies and owned almost 100 miles of main line from Whitchurch to Aberystwyth. The line from Dovey Junction to Pwllheli opened fully in October 1867. Eventually the system extended south through Llanidloes to Talyllyn Junction near Brecon and, along with numerous branches including two narrow gauge lines, the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway from Welshpool to Llanfair Caereinion 2ft 6in (760mm) and the Vale of Rheidol Railway from Aberystwyth to Devil’s Bridge 1ft 11½in (600mm). The total mileage was about 300 and the largest railway company in Wales when taken over by the Great Western Railway in 1922.
For museum items from the Vale of Rheidol Railway and the Welshpool and Llanfair Railway please see their respective headings.