The locomotive was built by Hughes Bros. Falcon Works No. 323 of 1878 as an 0-4-0 saddle tank. Together with two others purchased at the same time, it was rebuilt as an 0-4-2. The locomotives were used for steam hauled passenger and freight trains, though the passenger train service finished in 1930. Following damage to an embankment, the line closed on 20th August 1948.
The jigsaw picture was taken by the photographer H.C.Casserley at the Corris Railway Station in Machynlleth on 23rd August 1948, just days after the line closed.
Fortunately, No.3 together with Kerr Stuart locomotive No.4 were saved from being scrapped and after a few years stored at Machynlleth, they were purchased for the Talyllyn Railway in 1951. No.3 was named “Sir Haydn” and can be seen in operation on the railway.