Gauge: 1ft 11½in (600mm)
The Hendre Ddu Tramway was a 3½ mile line connecting the slate quarries with the main line at Aberangell in Mid Wales. Opened in 1867, it closed in 1941.
Hendre Ddu slate quarry opened in the 1850s, and in 1864 the Hendre Ddu Slate and Slab Co. was established. The Company specialised in slate slabs for billiard table beds.
The standard gauge Mawddwy Railway, opened in 1867 connected the Cambrian Railway at Cemmaes Road to Dinas Mawddwy, passing through the small village of Aberangell. The Hendre Ddu Tramway was built to carry slate from the quarry down to Aberangell station. Several other quarries had branches and spurs onto the Tramway, as well as a brickworks, a sawmill and several local farms. The Hendre Ddu Tramway itself was converted into a road during the second world war.
For most of its life, the tramway was horse-drawn, but a Motor Rail Simplex No.2059 of 1920 was obtained in 1922.