Gauge: 1ft 11½in (600mm)
Oakeley Slate Quarry at Blaenau Ffestiniog is an amalgamation of three quarries, upper, middle and lower, originally worked by separate owners.
The quarry is owned by Welsh Slate, part of the Lagan Group.
The Blaenau Ffestiniog area produced about a third of Welsh slate during the nineteenth century. No underground working came close to rivalling Oakeley Slate Quarry which was claimed to be the largest slate mine in the world. There were 26 floors from almost sea level to 1500ft and 50 miles of 2ft gauge track underground. One of its underground inclines had no fewer than 6 tracks.
Oakeley Slate Quarry was an amalgamation of three quarries, upper, middle and lower, worked by separate owners, including Samuel Holland, one of the first customers of the Festiniog Railway in 1839. The middle quarry (Gloddfa Ganol) was worked by Nathaniel Mathew and pioneered the use of mechanical slate dressing tools. In 1878 the leases on both upper and middle quarries expired and the landowner, W.E. Oakeley decided to work them himself.
The lower quarry, known as Lord Palmerston had been a spectacular success. It had an output of 50,000 tons per annum, and a workforce of almost 1000. New technology had been brought in and the quarry had an extensive tramway system and connection to the Festiniog Railway. Success had been won at the cost of safety and there had been two huge underground collapses which had damaged Oakeley’s quarries above. Following legal action Oakeley bought out the owners of the Lord Palmerston and amalgamated all three quarries under his own name. The damage and the downturn in trade during the 1880s meant that the Oakeley Quarries were never as profitable as one unit as they were previously. Nevertheless they held their position as the third largest producer in Wales with an output of some 60,000 tons a year.
An extensive steam loco worked surface tramway served the nine mills. Inclines gave access to the Festiniog Railway and later directly to the mainline railway. Steam power was extensively used for bringing up slate, pumping and operating the mills. Electricity began to be introduced after 1906.
The quarry was profitable up until the 1960s when the market was again lost. It closed in 1970, but was reopened as two separate units, Gloddfa Ganol and Ffestiniog Quarry. A tourist visitor attraction and Railway collection were also operated on the site. In 1997 the site was acquired by Alfred MacAlpine Slate and the tourist operation closed. Vigorous extraction recommenced and it was planned to use the waste rock at Oakeley as building material. There are an estimated 100 million tonnes of waste rock at the quarry and current production is increasing this at the rate of 2 million tonnes a year.
Together with McAlpine’s other slate interests in North Wales, it was sold in December 2007 and is owned by Welsh Slate, part of the Lagan Group.
|Number / Name||Manufacturer||Type||Notes|
|Meirion||Manning Wardle No.487 of 1874||0-4-0ST||To Votty & Bowydd Quarry c1900|
|Mary Oakeley||Falcon Engine & Car Works Ltd of 1884||0-4-0||Scrapped c1900|
|William||Daniel Adamson and Co. of 1885||0-4-0T||Scrapped|
|Mary Caroline||Daniel Adamson and Co. of 1888||0-4-0T||Scrapped c1931|
|Edward||Daniel Adamson and Co. of 1888||0-4-0T||Scrapped|
|Algernon||J.H. Wilson and Co. of 1875||0-4-0G||Rebuilt from the Welsh Slate Co. locomotive Mole. Scrapped.|
|Charles||Daniel Adamson and Co. of 1890||0-4-0T||Scrapped|
|Snowdon||W G Bagnall No.1569 of 1899||0-4-0ST||Scrapped|
|Eileen||W G Bagnall No.2045 of 1918||0-4-0ST||Purchased second hand from the Ministry of Munitions. Scrapped.|
|Diana||Kerr, Stuart & Co. No.1158 of 1917||0-4-0T||Purchased from the Kerry Tramway 1925. Sold to Pen-yr-Orsedd 1940|
|Algernon||Robert Hudson Ltd. (Hudswell, Clarke and Company Ltd No.1028 of 1913)||0-4-0WT||Scrapped|
|Clifford||Hudswell, Clarke and Company Ltd No.1142 of 1915||0-4-0WT||Purchased from Nottingham in 1924. Scrapped.|
|Kidbrooke||W G Bagnall No.1043 of 1917||0-4-0ST||Purchased from RASC depot at Kidbrooke. Out of use by 1939, sold in 1961|
|–||Baguley Cars Ltd No.708 of 1917||0-4-0PM||Purchased from the War Department. Scrapped.|
|(774/Clifford/Oakeley)||Baguley Cars Ltd No.774 of 1919||0-4-0PM||Purchased second hand from Baguley in 1927. Out of use by 1939 until sold into preservation in 1966.|
|Rosa||Baguley Cars Ltd No.777 of 1919||0-4-0PM||Purchased from the Kerry Tramway in 1925. Destroyed by fire in 1937|
|–||W G Bagnall No.2499 of 1933||4wDM||To Votty & Bowydd Quarry c1900|
|–||Ruston & Hornsby No.174139 of 1935||4wDM|
|Ruston & Hornsby No.174140 of 1935||4wDM|
|Ruston & Hornsby No.175145 of 1935||4wDM|
|Ruston & Hornsby No.175986 of 1935||4wDM|
|Ruston & Hornsby No.177598 of 1935||4wDM||Purchased second hand from Robert Hudson Ltd 1937.|
|Ruston & Hornsby No.177638 of 1936||4wDM||To Votty & Bowydd Quarry|
|Ruston & Hornsby No.182137 of 1936||4wDM|
|Ruston & Hornsby No.432652 of 1959||4wDM|
|Ruston & Hornsby No.264252 of 1952||4wDM||From Votty & Bowydd Quarry 1962|