Gauge: 4ft 2in (1270mm)
The Peak Forest Tramway was an early horse drawn plateway in Derbyshire, connecting the quarries at Dove Holes with the Peak Forest Canal at Bugsworth Basin.
The tramway opened in 1796, running for a length of around 6 miles from Dove Holes to Bugsworth Basin. The main traffic was limestone from the Dove Holes area, most of which was shipped out along the Peak Forest Canal. The line included a gravity-worked incline near Chapel-en-le-Frith, and a short tunnel.
Over the years , the plateway was upgraded with double track installed except through the tunnel, and cast iron plateway chairs fitted between the stone blocks and the plates. The tramway closed in 1920.
Various features still remain, especially the interchange between the plateway and canal at Bugsworth Basin.