Ty’n-y-Coed Quarry

Gauge: 1ft 11½in (600mm)


Collection Objects

A number of small slate quarries were worked on the south side of the Mawddach estuary in the area of Fairbourne and Arthog. The amount of slate quarried did not make any elaborate form of transport worthwhile. The Cambrian Railway which opened in 1868 was not much used for slate traffic

Ty’n-y-Coed was a small, early quarry which, after it was worked out, was used as a dump for waste from Arthog Quarry. A tramway was built on a terrace between the two to facilitate its transport.

Back to Industrial Railways Index