Weekly Exhibit

The four foot gauge Padarn Railway ordered three new locomotives in the 1880/1890s to replace the originals. One of these held the distinction of carrying a nameplate incorporating the rare use of a diphthong. The Hunslet Engine Co. supplied works no.410 in 1886, and was named ‘Pandora’. In 1909, the name was changed to ‘Amalthæa’, and a new nameplate with ornate lettering was cast at the quarry workshops. The name originates in Greek mythology as the foster mother of the god Zeus. The locomotive was scrapped in 1963, together with the other two sister engines.