Another nameplate this week. This one is from a contractor’s locomotive used on improvement works for the Lake Vyrnwy reservoir system which supplied water to Liverpool. Prior to World War II, a number of both steam and diesel Orenstein and Koppel locomotives were imported into the UK from Germany. The plate shown is from Orenstein and Koppel locomotive works no.12242 of 1930.
Following completion of the improvement works, this 3ft gauge locomotive was used on other contracts and eventually was sold to the Piel and Walney Gravel Co. on Walney Island near Barrow-in-Furness. The line at Walney Island closed in 1962 and the locomotive was scrapped.