A representative of one of the lesser known railway systems. The Porthywaen Lime Quarry opened in the 1800s, and was one of several industries based to the south of Oswestry. The Steetley Lime and Basic Co took over the quarry in 1932 and expanded the output from Porthywaen. New plant was installed including a 4ft gauge railway into the Whitehaven Quarry.
Bagnall locomotive 2466 of 1932, which was built for the 4ft gauge railway, had a fairly short life as by the early 1950s, the line was abandoned in favour of dumper trucks.