With the Jubilee celebration this week, we look back to a previous age where Manning Wardle locomotive No.1382 was named ‘Jubilee 1897’ to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. It was built for the Cilgwyn Quarry at Nantlle, and later moved to the Penrhyn Quarry Railway. In 1963 it was loaned to the Narrow Gauge Railway Museum and after a short time back at Penrhyn in 2017, it was transferred to Aberystwyth, and has now been sold by Welsh Slate to the Vale of Rheidol Railway.
The object shown is a new replica works plate, cast to remember its time at Tywyn. The photograph taken by J.J.Davies shows the locomotive at Wharf Station in 1964, prior to moving into the museum.