Weekly Exhibit

The nameplate from Crich Quarry Railway locomotive “Dowie”, a metre gauge 0-4-0 saddle tank, purchased from the local engineering works of Markham and Co. in 1893. The name was associated with the chairman’s daughter-in-law.

The locomotive was scrapped in 1956, and the name then used by the replacement Ruston & Hornsby diesel which arrived in 1956. The quarry ceased operation the next year.