This week sees the centenary of the “Grouping”, when implementation of the Railways Act of 1921 grouped 120 independent Railway Companies into four “main line” Companies. To mark the event, part of the temporary exhibition in the museum for this year will be devoted to the impact of the Grouping on narrow gauge railways.
Our local main line, operated by the Cambrian Railways, became part of the Great Western Railway. The actual transfer of control took place in 1922, in common with a number of other railways. The train staff shown below dates from the Cambrian Railways period, and is for the single line section from Llwyngwril to Barmouth Junction.