For 2021, two exhibitions marking centenaries are in place. The first marks the fatal accident which occurred at Abermule on 26th January 1921. The display covers control of single line working on the Talyllyn Railway; the ERTMS Control system currently used on the Cambrian Line; pictures of locomotive No. 95 that hauled the express train and profiles of Lord Herbert Vane-Tempest and Guard Edward Shone – two of the 17 fatalities. The display also includes an extended extract from Tom Rolt’s “Red for danger”, creating a link with one of the TRPS’ founders in our 70th anniversary year.
The second display marks the centenary of Kerr, Stuart & Co. Ltd. Works Number 4047 of 1921, better known to us as former Corris Railway locomotive No.4 and now Talyllyn Railway No.4 “Edward Thomas” … and occasionally Skarloey Railway No.4 “Peter Sam”! In addition to telling the story of this individual locomotive, we tell the story of its builder Kerr, Stuart & Co. Ltd., of some of its standard products and their early work on the development of diesel locomotives and lorries. Again, making a connection with Tom Rolt, we use family photographs and quotes from “Landscape with machines” to tell of his apprenticeship in the Kerr, Stuart works at Stoke on Trent.
The many people who have provided help, photographs and information used in preparing these temporary exhibitions is acknowledged within the displays. Thank you to you all.
- 2002, Tywyn and the Boer War
- 2007, Railway Letter Service
- 2008, Welsh Highland Railway
- 2009, Bryneglwys Quarry
- 2010, Tom Rolt Centenary
- 2011, Rev. Wilbert Awdry Centenary
- 2012, Talyllyn Railway Locomotives
- 2013, Narrow Gauge Carriages. The 150th Anniversary of the opening of the Aberystwyth and Welsh Coast Railway in 1863, which provided the Talyllyn with its standard gauge link to the wider world.
- 2014, Narrow Gauge Passenger Services during World War One, and Talyllyn Locomotive no. 1.
- 2015, To mark the 150th anniversary of the passing of the Talyllyn Railway Act on the 5th July 1865, we are holding a temporary exhibition on Railway Legislation.
- 2016, 40th Anniversary of the opening of the Talyllyn Railway’s Nant Gwernol Extension & Fletcher Jennings Locomotives and the 150th Anniversary of Talyllyn Railway locomotive no.2 “Dolgoch”
- 2017, 60th Anniversary of the Narrow Gauge Railway Museum, 60th Anniversary of the Talyllyn Railway Letter Service & Talyllyn Railway carriages and builders.
- 2018, Centenary of Talyllyn Railway locomotive No.6 and the RAF.
- 2019, The 150th anniversary of the birth of Colonel Stephens, and fifty years since the Giesl Ejector fitted to Talyllyn Railway locomotive No.4 was removed.
- 2020, Narrow Gauge Railways depicted in Literature.